Managing Editor, Women's Magazine
Delhi Press, India's leading magazine publishing house, is inviting applications for the position of Managing Editor for a soon-to-be-launched women's magazine in English, with an accompanying website. The magazine will be targeted at women of all ages, and will be guided by the mission of being a friend and an advisor to a modern woman, in understanding and resolving issues for a more fulfilling life. Our primary target will the larger cross-section of women readers in urban India, who are eager to hear a voice beyond the narrow confines of high street fashion and blatant consumerism—a voice that speaks to them in a language and aesthetics they can relate to.
The magazine will cover topics with a pragmatic approach to lifestyle issues and with a strong handle on the reality and rigour of everyday lives of upper and middle income home. Towards that end, we seek to provide hands-on and practical solutions, in a simple and relatable manner, for a variety of issues including style, health, food, entertainment, careers, technology, news, politics and more.
At the same time, the magazine will provide a progressive space for engaging with ideas and issues that touch upon the very heart of social and cultural changes that our society is under going. Whether it is at the workplace, home, or at places of learning, there is a large readership that is eager to participate in these changes. The magazine seeks to be a bridge between their aspirations—both emotional and intellectuual—and their constraints, whatever they may be.
The Managing Editor will work along with the Editor in Chief to further develop the conceptual framework of the magazine, the website and its editorial approach. The ME will recruit and put together a small and passionate team of talented staffers, freelance contributors and off-site vendors. The ME will also work with the design team to create the design template, masthead and the web design.
Experience in magazine or newspaper journalism is a must. An ideal candidate must love storytelling and be a prolific generator of story ideas that fulfill our editorial mission.
The Managing Editor will report to the editor-in-chief and will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operation of the magazine and web, including maintaining schedules, trafficking copy and proofs, and working closely with the the editor-in-chief to ensure smooth production and workflow. Our ideal candidate is a seasoned pro who can generate and write great stories, work with photographers and designers to bring them to fruition and line-edit as well as coach freelance writers.
The ME will also work closely with the marketing team to develop a media kit and amarketing strategy, as well as meet possible advertisers.
360 degree integrated approach
The women's magazine will be developed with a strong emphasis on digital products—web, social media, podcasts—as well as programming for live events.
- With the editor in chief, develop editorial plans for all products under the magazinebrand.
- Serve as the go-to feature writer. Conceive, report and write both feature-length and short-form magazines stories, work with photographers and designers to execute them on deadline.
- Line edit, coach and direct the work of writers to improve copy for print, web and social media.
- Maintain relationships with market publicists
- Help the art department conceptualize layouts
- Traffic copy and art to offsite copy-editing, design and pre-press vendors.
- Outstanding reporting, writing and editorial packaging skills.
- Planning, organisation and time-management skills.
- Strong people skills and the ability to coach freelance contributors to a higher level of performance.
- Understanding of digital publishing, social media, and a willingness to oversee work in audio and video formats
- An understanding and appreciation of the magazine's editorial mission
- A master's degree in social sience or a related field.
- Seven to ten years of professional experience as a writer, editor or copy editor.
- Print magazine or newspaper experience strongly preferred.
- Strong reporting, writing and line-editing skills.
- An ability to work respectfully with coworkers and contributors. We value team members who can communicate and work collaboratively but also execute assignments independently.
- Experience in digital publishing will be preferred.
More about Delhi Press
Delhi Press is one of the leading magazine-publishing houses in India. We publish a suite of 33 magazine and 6 websites. Some of the popular titles are The Caravan, Grihshobha, Sarita, Champak, Motoring World, and Manohar Kahaniyan.
- Please send in a résumé, a detailed statement on your experience along with two references (with names and contact information) and a cover letter to Mr. V Natarajan (email@example.com). Subject line should read "Managing Editor, Women's Magazine – 2019".